Hazard mitigation funds will be used to build a community safe room
CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $2,926,153 in Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) funds to the Village of Spencer, for the construction of a safe room at the Village of Spencer High School.
“The Pre-Disaster Mitigation grant program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said James K. Joseph, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “This project will give the community a safe room that can be used to protect residents in Spencer during times of severe weather.”
“We are excited about these funds and the support it will provide,” said Dr. Darrell L. Williams, Wisconsin Emergency Management administrator. “We are grateful to FEMA for their continued support!”
HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through PDM, FEMA will pay 90 percent of the $3,251,281 eligible project cost. The remaining 10 percent of the funds, $325,128 will be provided by the Spencer School District.